At first, I wanted to call this an apple cake. But as it is not really sweet, I thought bread would be a better term. And so the name Apple Snack Bread came into being. It is such a versatile food! You could eat it as a breakfast on-the-go, for lunch, or just as a nourishing snack.
Every autumn, apples suddenly become one of my favourite foods again. Especially when used in baking and cooking. And this apple snack bread uses apple in three different forms!
The bread is entirely sweetened with apple-based products, making it a very healthy choice and a very tasty, autumny-one too!
Note that it really is more a bread than a cake. It does have a slightly sweet taste, but really only a little. I think that is what makes it such a great snack, as it does not mess with your blood sugar too much. If you do prefer a sweeter snack, you can just spread some honey on a slice of the bread, the two combine perfectly!
Apple snack bread (makes one loaf, which is about 15 thick slices)
- 250 grams of whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- One finely diced apple (I like to use “Goudreinet”, also known as “Belle de Boskoop”)
- 150 grams of (unsweetened) apple sauce
- 3 heaping tablespoons of apple butter
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinager
- 150 ml of (plant-based) milk, add more if needed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius (convection).
- Mix everything except the apple together. Stir till you get a sticky, firm dough. You should be able to stir it with a spoon, but it should take some effort to do so.
- Fold in the apple pieces.
- Grease a cake tin and spoon the batter into that. Smooth it out a bit.
- Bake for 55 to 70 minutes, depending on the strength of you oven. A skewer should come out clean after pricking it.
- Let the bread cool for about ten minutes before removing from the tin. Let cool on a rack and only attempt slicing when the bread is at most lukewarm, but it slices best when completely cooled.
- Enjoy as it is, or with some peanut butter, honey or other toppings you desire.
- Store up to four days in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze it for later use.