What better meal on a Friday night, than a simple, nourishing veggie soup, right? Paired with a grilled goat’s cheese sandwich, this soup has all the nutrients you need. And it is just such comfort food!
I made this soup last night and it was just what I needed. I got back from the stables pretty late, so I wanted something quick and easy to make, but was craving something healthy as well.
Add to that the enormous amount of veggies I had in my fridge, that would have been rather hard to combine into a coherent meal otherwise, and this soup was born.
Note: I’m usually quite good at planning ahead with my grocery shopping, but now that my flatmate is on holiday, I have her share of our grocery subscription as well. That is just a bit much, even for me! So, nothing else to do but eat lots and lots of veggies. It’s a good thing you can stash a lot of them into a soup like this.
End-of-summer veggie soup (makes three large bowls)
- 1 large carrot
- Half of a large cauliflower
- One zucchini
- 200 grams of cooked lentils
- A teaspoon of “Herbamare” herb seasoning
- Optional: a pinch of pepper
- Peel and dice the carrot, rinse the cauliflower and break into smaller pieces
- Bring about two soup bowls of water to a boil in a medium sized pan.
- Add in the carrot and cauliflower, close the lid. After that, wash and dice the zucchini and add that to the pan too.
- Let the whole cook for a bit, until the carrot and cauliflower are getting soft. You can test it with a fork.
- When soft, take the pan off the heat and puree using a hand blender so that it has the right cosistency for you. I like my soup to still have some chunks in it, but that is up to you.
- Put the soup back on medium heat and add the lentils.
- Leave it to warm through, meanwhile adding seasoning. (Adjust it to your own taste, everybody has different preferences when it comes to salt and pepper)
- Divide over three bowls, and you’re done!
- Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches or toast for a hearty meal.