During the holidays, you might feel the need to step up your cooking a bit. But at the same time, you might want to just have a nice time and prepare easy and comforting food. This chestnut spread is the perfect thing for the occasion. It’s terribly easy and has a soothing and warm taste but at the same time it somehow has an air of luxury about it.
Chic Comfort Food
With grey weather, exam week and packing up my stuff for my trip to Norway, I could do with some comfort food last week. Even more so when I stumbled and broke a toe. (How clumsy can a person be?) But as I had planned to try out some more festive recipes to celebrate the start of the holidays in style, this is what I ended up eating after my last exam. And it was delicious!
What is so great about this spread is how very versatile the recipe is. I chose to add some walnuts, honey and cinnamon, but you could basically throw in anything you want. I’m sure almonds would work lovely as well, for instance, or you could choose a different sweetener. Or, well, it’s all up to you, really! And if you do try something different and it is a success, I would love to hear from you!
- 200 grams chestnut purée (home-made or canned)
- A handful of walnuts
- ½ tablespoon of honey
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Crush the walnuts with your hands and roast for a few minutes.
- Put everything together in your blender.
- Blend to get a (kind of) smooth paste, it may remain a bit chunky.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge.
- Use the spread on toast or crackers, top your oatmeal with it, or spread it onto slices of apple.
I hope you like the spread, and for all of you that are starting their Christmas break today, enjoy!