Even though summer is nearing its end, there are still a lot of mosquitoes around. Protect yourself from them with this easy, all-natural mosquito repellent.
Last night, I had two very persistent mosquitoes in my room. They would buzz around my ear or sting me every time I had just dozed off. Somewhere around every ten minutes or so. But as soon as I switched on the lights, they had completely disappeared. It was quite frustrating, seeing the time go by and not getting any proper sleep.
So finally, at half past one, I had enough of it. I knew I didn’t have any store-bought repellent, so I went online, did some searching for bug-repelling odours and came up with my own recipe for mosquito repellent, mostly based on the few possibly useful ingredients that I did have at hand.
I quickly threw everything together, slathered it on my arms, shoulders and neck and dove straight back into bed. And miraculously, I was able to sleep through the rest of the night without waking up once! It was clear that they did not like the scent at all. (Luckily, I found the smell pretty nice actually!)
With such a simple recipe, you can easily manage have a small flask of the stuff at hand at all times. You know, for moments like these. I haven’t tested it yet, but I’m pretty sure the repellent will also keep for a long time, based on my other experiences with essential oils.
All-natural mosquito repellent
- About 15 ml of a basic plant-based oil (I like to use apricot-stone-oil, but almond, avocado, or basically any oil you want would work. Just make sure it is not scented at all and does not contain any extra ingredients)
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil (if you react very strongly to the energising effects of rosemary, consider using only half the amount)
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Combine everything in a small flask
- Shake well
- Your all-natural mosquito repellent is ready to use!