Whether you are spending your day outside exploring nature, or indoors at your office, you can always use some healthy snacks to get you through the day. Since giving up refined sugar, I have constantly been experimenting with alternatives for regular snacks and bars. These cranberry banana bread bars have proven themselves as both delicious and filling.
Yummm. Every time these bars are baking in the oven, the room starts to smell so very delicious! It’s the spices, the banana, the maple syrup, everything! So when last weekend the rain was pouring outside and I wasn’t feeling very well due to an allergic reaction, baking these bars was the thing to do! The cooking is very easy and quick, so you won’t need to put in a lot of energy. Just a bit of mashing and mixing, that’s all there is to it!
The bars will provide you with enough energy to keep you focussed all day long. Plus they are healthy. Plus they can easily be frozen to keep you supplied with snacks at all times. Do I need to say more? Oh, and they are delicious as well!
Cranberry Banana Bread Bars
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 100 grams whole wheat (spelt) flour
- 50 grams rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon Dutch “koekkruiden” or other winter spices mix
- A small handful of dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven at 175° C (convection).
- Mash the banana and add in the maple syrup. Then add all of the dry ingredients. Mix everything roughly, then add the oil and milk and mix thoroughly.
- If the mixture is still a bit dry, add some more milk. It should have a gooey, paint-like consistency.
- Grease a brownie tin or large cake tin and smooth out the batter in the tin.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes
- Wait a couple of minutes before slicing in pieces. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely. (Or eat one while they are still warm, they are delicious either way!)
- Enjoy immediately, the next day, or freeze to keep longer.
Enjoy your healthy snack!