Do you know the feeling? You think it would be a good idea to do something, have some exercise. But it’s warm outside, you don’t want to become all over-heated and sweaty, and all over, you just feel lazy.
I, for one, certainly do know the feeling!
But even then, there are ways to remain active during the summertime, without actually being hindered by the heat. Here are some great ideas!
1. Go swimming. It may be quite an obvious choice, but definitely worth mentioning here. Water works perfect to cool your body down. And while you are already in the water, why not swim a few laps? Swimming gives a good workout for almost your entire body, but you won’t get overheated. Perfect, right?
2. Timing is everything! Try to avoid being active in the middle of the day. The sun is blazing and temperatures are high, why would you drag yourself outside at that moment? Better to wait till it cools off in the evening, or get up early in the morning.
3. Choose the right place for your sports. Not everybody may have the luxury of vast expanses of nature nearby, but try and find the best possible spot. In towns and cities it can be whole degrees warmer then out in the green. Of course trees give shade, but other plants give a cooling effect as well, so choose your surroundings wisely.
4. Moderate your pace. Not every activity has to be equally intensive. Especially in warmer weather, it is ok to lower your speed a bit. If you look at people in countries with warmer climates, you will notice they do everything just a little bit slower. You might not burn quite as much calories, but you are active nonetheless, and that is really the point, isn’t it?
5. Make sure you drink enough water. As much as you might not want to sweat, you will always lose some water and it is important to refill your water levels.
And of course, use some common sense! If it really is too hot, it might not be such a bad idea to keep calm for the day.
How do you stay active during summer?