Warm and soothing. Yet still cool and refreshing. In one bowl. It might sound a bit strange, but trust me, it’s heavenly! This lemony cheesecake oatmeal is the perfect thing on summer mornings. A nice, fresh start of the day, and it will keep you going for quite a while. Oh, and it comes together in only five minutes!
So, cheesecake oatmeal? What’s that? You might wonder. Well, basically, it’s an oatmeal base, with a “dairy” layer on top. So you will have the warmth of the oatmeal, but the cool of the top layer. And it makes eating breakfast suddenly very special and festive.
For this oatmeal, I used honey and dairy yoghurt. But you can very easily make it vegan by substituting the honey with maple syrup (although I have not tested that yet, but I’m confident it will taste good), and using a vegan yoghurt instead of dairy.
Lemony Cheesecake Oatmeal (serves 1)
What you will need:
- 8 tablespoons of rolled grains. (I used 6 tbsp oats and 2 tbsp rye)
- About 150 ml of your favourite milk
- A pinch of salt
- A (small) teaspoon of honey or maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want your oats to be)
- Half a lemon
- About 150 ml of (dairy or non-dairy) yoghurt
- Start your oats by combining the grains and milk in a small pan. Bring to an almost-boil and leave to simmer for a bit.
- Meanwhile, prepare the top layer by squeezing the lemon in a separate bowl. Add the yoghurt and mix.
- Once your oats have absorbed most of the milk, add some salt and the honey. Then leave simmering till it has the right consistency.
- Transfer the oats to your breakfast bowl, spoon the lemon-yoghurt on top, and enjoy!
- (You could add some extra toppings if you like, for example chia seeds, grated cocount or some extra fruits.)
Have a lovely Monday!