So, yesterday was the Food Film Festival, and it was quite a success. Despite the rainy, stormy weather, lots of people showed up to take a look, taste some new things and watch the film. Which is great! But making it all work was quite tiring actually. So a simple and extremely comforting bowl of plum oatmeal this morning, that was just what I needed!
To be honest, I have never really eaten a lot of plums before. At least, not for years. I used to eat them when I was little. My neighbours have a couple of old plum trees, and I used to eat a plum whenever I passed the trees. But somehow I haven’t done that since I was, like, twelve of something. So I actually forgot what plums tasted like. It’s terrible, I know!
But now we all got a few boxes of plums as thanks for organising the festival. So there was no escaping it. I had to give plums another go. And they are not that bad, actually. Not bad at all!
I do think plums are best eaten combined with something else. It’s just a matter of taste, I think, but I find them a bit too sweet to eat on it’s own. So I put them in my oatmeal. And it was heavenly!
As for the rest of the plums, I think I will have to bake some pie with them. And ask my roommates to eat a lot of them. And… well, I’ll come up with some more uses for them, I’m sure!
Warming Plum Oatmeal (Serves one)
What you will need:
- Three plums
- Forty grams of rolled oats / ten tablespoons
- A small handful of rye flakes
- About 150 ml of your favourite milk
- A pinch of salt
- Some apple pie spices
- Was and dice the plums. Don’t forget to remove the stone.
- Combine the oats, rye and milk in a small saucepan. Put on medium heat.
- When the milk starts to simmer, turn down heat a bit and add in plums.
- When the consistency is almost right, add the salt and spices. Stir and leave for a few more moments.
- When the oatmeal is exactly as you want it to be, transfer to a bowl, add a splash of milk and enjoy!
Have a great day, and enjoy tomorrow’s breakfast!