There is no better springtime breakfast than this. Fresh, fruity, delicious. It’s packed with nutrients, and will give you just the boost to start your day.
I love this oatmeal. I mean, all oatmeal is great. But some are even more amazing than others. And this one is definitely among the top three of favourite oatmeals! The fresh, sweet taste of the strawberries, mixed with the sweetness of the banana, and then the hearty oats to balance it all out, hmm!
For the full springtime experience, take your bowl of oatmeal outside to eat in the sunshine. On a cute bench, or just on a blanket in the grass, your breakfast will be a luxurious moment to enjoy. Oh, and you can perfectly well eat this oatmeal as a lunch too!
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal (serves one)
What you will need:
- 6 tablespoons of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of rolled rye (I like to add this for a bit of a bite, but you can sub with rolled oats.)
- A banana
- A handful of fresh strawberries
- About 150 mL of your favourite milk (I like to use rice milk)
- A pinch of salt
- Hull, rinse and chop the strawberries.
- Put oats, rye and milk in a small pan and warm over medium heat.
- When the milk starts to boil, turn down heat to low.
- Meanwhile, mash the banana, set aside.
- When most of the milk is absorbed by the oats, add a pinch of salt.
- Now stir in the mashed banana. Let is cook a little bit, to bring out the sweetness of the fruit.
- When the oatmeal has the right consistency, transfer it to a bowl and top with the strawberries and a splash of milk.
What is your favourite springtime breakfast?